For the third year in a row, the Gales Creek Chamber of Commerce will host the Gales Creek Community Yard Sale on May 14th at the Gales Creek Elementary School covered area. The sale will run from 9 am to 4 pm, and will include many local families selling various household goods, clothing, electronics, tools, books, and much more. There are still 8 out of 20 spaces available for those wishing to sell at the yard sale. Each space is $15 and comes with a table. Those wishing to rent a space should contact us at 503-395-8131 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
On December 15th 2015 at the Gales Creek Church of God, the Gales Creek Chamber of Commerce voted unanimously to adopt a three year strategic plan.
This strategic plan was developed from two public meetings in October and November with chamber members and community members working to identify areas of concern and potential with a strength, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) analysis.
The full text of the strategic plan is below, and can be found in PDF format HERE.
Gales Creek Chamber of Commerce
Three Year Strategic Plan (2016 through 2018)
The mission of the Gales Creek Chamber of Commerce is to support a healthy business community in the Gales Creek area.
The Gales Creek Chamber of Commerce Three Year Strategic Plan was established to guide the Gales Creek Chamber of Commerce with specific goals for the next three years.
During two SWOT (Strength, Weakness, Opportunities, Threats) analysis planning session, the following strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats were identified and top choices selected by chamber members and community residents as important to the community:
Sense of community
Social capital/community connections
Lack of venue for meeting and connecting with new residents
Awareness of local businesses
Lack of new volunteers
Growing internet presence
Agritourism/farm to fork movement
Absorption by neighboring towns
Growing transient and homeless population with an increase in burglary and vandalism
Lack of consideration by public officials
The following are specific and measurable goals and concepts that will be developed and acted upon by the Gales Creek Chamber of Commerce of the next three years:
- Increase our active members and volunteers by inviting local businesses to present at Chamber of Commerce meetings.
- Expand our business directory to include photos of each business listing, as well as copying the directory to galescreek.us.
- Establish an annual print version of the business directory for distribution at local events and to new community members.
- Ensure that promotional materials for all member businesses and organizations are kept on hand for display and distribution at local events.
- Establish a new member handbook with information relevant to running a business in Gales Creek, information on how the chamber operates, bylaws, member directory, and other pertinent information.
- Create a physical location to display information for tourists and local residents to learn about local businesses, recreation opportunities, and tourist attractions in the area.
- Build a “Welcome to Gales Creek” sign to welcome visitors and greet our neighbors, while identifying Gales Creek as a distinct and active community.
- Establish the Gales Creek Hello Wagon to connect newly arriving families with local businesses, events, organizations, and history.
- Expand the Strawberry Festival to include more activities and vendors.
- Work with local farms and agricultural organizations to establish a farm tour/route in the Gales Creek area.
- Continue to look for more opportunities to increase the economic growth of the Gales Creek area.
Measuring these goals:
After annual elections every January, the outgoing and incoming Board of Directors will meet and measure the progress of each goal, and publish updates as needed to ensure the strategic plan stays relevant as time passes. Before the December 2018 meeting, a final report that determines the effectiveness and success of the three year strategic plan will be developed by the board of directors for presentation during the final meeting of the year.
At our September 15 monthly meeting, we passed a motion to establish a strategic plan for the Gales Creek Chamber of Commerce to focus and aid in our mission to help the Gales Creek community. However, we need your help! We’re hoping to gain input in what the community of Gales Creek would like to see come from our organization. Please consider taking the time to attend our next meeting on October 20th at 7pm at the Gales Creek Church of God. Snacks and coffee will be provided. We hope to see you there!
At the monthly meeting on February 18th, the Gales Creek Chamber of Commerce voted unanimously to ““publicly support the initiative to establish a quilt block trail in Washington County.” This project is spearheaded by the Westside Quilters Guild, and has run into unnecessary red tape from the Washington County Department of Land Use and Transportation.
Please write to the Washington County Commissioners and add your support to this project!
155 North First Ave. MS-21
Hillsboro, OR 97124
March 17th 2015: The Gales Creek Chamber of Commerce voted unanimously to pass a motion to insist that “Washington County hold a public meeting in the Gales Creek community to inform residents and businesses of the Gales Creek area how the proposed Gales Creek Bridge Project will impact citizens in the Gales Creek area.”
Concerns have been raised that include how access to schools, farms, and emergency services vital to the health and success of the Gales Creek community will be impacted; and it is the opinion of the Gales Creek Chamber that every effort be made by Washington County to hold a public meeting in the community that is most effected by the proposed bridge project.
This month, we are hosting a special guest, Beth Rankin. Beth is a marketer and urban planner from McMinnville. Recently, she has been leading the initiative to develop a year round indoor farmer’s market in Forest Grove. The chamber board invited her to speak for a special meeting last month, and she gave a fantastic presentation on the opportunities that Gales Creek has to offer, and how we as a community can improve on the infrastructure we already have to grow our economic strength. We invite you and your families to this event (cookies will be served!), and encourage you to spread the word- this meeting will be informative and relevant for all community members in Gales Creek.